Skip to main content

Fiscal Year 2023 Millage Increase

Millage Increase 

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a Mill?

       One mill is equal to one-thousandth of a dollar per $1 of assessed property value.

  1. What millage is the City Proposing?

       The proposed millage is an increase from 167 mills to 184 mills. (17 Mills difference)

  3.  How does the millage increase affect MY property taxes?

       If City Council approves a tax of 184 mills, then the taxpayer will pay $184 per $1000 of assessed property value.

Calculate MY Approximate Property Tax

  1. Why are we doing this now?

       The City of Mullins has not raised its millage for at least 30 years.  This millage increase will provide the City with much-needed revenue to continue to provide services to our residents.  An increase in fuel charges, and increases in charges for supplies as well as working to purchase equipment, pay personnel, and better our Sanitation and storm sewer departments can be done with this increase.

  1. What about other sources of revenue?  How did we fund these things in the past?

       In the past, the city increased its revenue by increasing water and sewer fees but since selling the water and sewer system to  Grand Strand Water and Sewer Authority 12 years ago, that is no longer an option. Selling the water and sewer system was a necessity in order to provide the best services to our residents.  GSWSA is able to upgrade the services and make repairs that we would not have been able to.

  1. Is there a program to assist Senior Citizens with their taxes?

      The Homestead Exemption is a complete exemption of taxes on the first $50,000 in Fair Market Value of your Legal Residence for homeowners over age 65, totally and permanently disabled, or legally blind. 

  1. How do I qualify for Homestead Exemption?

      To qualify for the Homestead Exemption statements 1, 2, and 3 must be true.  

  1. You hold complete fee simple title to your primary legal residence or life estate to your primary legal residence or you are the beneficiary of a trust that holds title to your primary legal residence. 
  2. As of December 31 preceding the tax year of the exemption, you were a legal resident of South Carolina for one calendar year 
  3. As of December 31 preceding the tax year of the exemption, you must be one of the following:

      A.         65 years of age, or 

      B.         declared totally and permanently disabled by a state or federal agency having the authority to make such a declaration, or  

      C.         is legally blind as certified by a licensed ophthalmologist. 

  1. Didn’t Mullins get American Rescue Plan money and why can’t we use it to fix the budget?

      The City of Mullins has received the first payment of ARP money and will expect a second payment when the money is released.  There is a time limit on using the ARP money and when that time has passed we will no longer have that income.  So, when the money has run out we will have to look for another source of revenue.  Though the money can be used for many things the Mullins City Council would like to look at using it to better Mullins.  We have already purchased a backhoe for the demolition of abandoned houses and storm sewer cleanout.