The early days of the Mullins community began when farming families began to settle here in the 1600's. The only forms of local transportation were the Stage and the Little Pee Dee River until the railroad was completed in October of 1853. The railroad depot, which remains a standing landmark in Mullins, was then built. It was named for Col. William Mullins who represented Marion County as a State Legislator.
The City of Mullins was formally established in 1872 even though the population totaled less than 100, there were only four streets, and only three stores existed to serve the public.
The introduction of tobacco in 1894 rocketed Mullins into the "Tobacco Capital" of South Carolina. As many as 200 tobacco barns sprang up throughout the community. Warehouses were also constructed and the first tobacco sale took place on August 28, 1895.
The city has continued to expand since those days and is a well-rounded community, but is still most known for its tobacco market. To learn more about the area's history, the South Carolina Tobacco Museum is a great place to ponder the past.
All Rights Reserved
Mullins City Hall
Mullins Chamber of Commerce
South Carolina Tobacco Museum
Golden Leaf Festival